Friday, November 2, 2007

The Great Mud War of 2007


So, one of our favorite things to do is hanging out with the McCleve Family after school. The kids play really well together ( for the most part ) and it gives me a chance to catch up with Christine and let’s face it- sometimes you need to talk to another grown up for more than 5 minutes on the phone. The kids all love to be outside and since the blistering sun is not a concern right now that is where they are most of the time. I love that there is really not too much trouble the kids can get into in the backyard since it a secured area with only "mom-approved toys". I am sure you know what I am talking about. I have an on-going list of things that are not allowed in the backyard. So far I have had to outlaw dolls, action figures, DVDs, and spoons. Yes, I said spoons. My children think that our eating utensils are better suited for digging in the dirt than for eating. There is no way we can have everyone over for Thanksgiving unless we eat with our hands!

Anyways, Christine and I sent the kids in the backyard to play. They were digging in the dirt, running around and having a great time. We heard the water turn on. Now let me just say here, that as a mother you are required to holler “stay out of the water,” I am pretty sure it is some unwritten law that mothers pass down to their daughters, but face it, we don’t really expect them to listen to it. Every child needs to squish mud between their toes and make mud pies. Christine and I did do the required holler and went out 10 minutes later to make sure everything was under control but all control had been lost ( along with all of Ronin’s clothes- more on that another day). The events of October 30th will always be known as the Great Mud War of 2007.

There was mud everywhere - on the patio, the walls and all over the kids. We watched through the window and as soon as we went outside Raven looked up with a guilty look on her face and asked, “Can we play in the mud?” A little too late for that, Missy.

Later that night Addison told me “ We had so much fun today but my mom said we can never do it again.” I had to laugh about it. It is one of those things that you rarely give them permission to do but you are glad when it is done. Childhood really can be so much fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I have been waiting to see pictures of this fateful day. Hilarious. I can only imagine how long it took you to bathe them and get the mud out of their ears.....mud that you are probably still finding....so cute!

Michelle Bebe said...

i love it! i am having memories of mud RIGHT NOW. oh and i love that ro ro is in his chonies. marcus was always running around in his underwear too. funny!

oh and did deanna tell you what raven said to donny at becky's wedding? "hey donatello. haven't seen ya in a while, where ya been?"

she is the funniest kid EVER!